Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Planting green beans

I've always loved Nature and plants, so I want Kieran to be able to enjoy and appreciate them too.

Yesterday, we planted some green beans.

I showed him the Yakult bottle that we will plant the beans in. He finished up the drink in the bottle and I washed it clean and told him we are planting green beans in it. He didn't know what it is but he can sense it must be something fun and he's excited about it.

I let him touch the soft cotton wool balls and told him what it is. He thought its the "cotton candy" that I let him eat few months earlier at the Fo guang shan fun fair. LOL. He has good memory.

I let him touch the cool water I poured on a plate that we are going to dip the cotton wools in. He said "water" and "水". I like how he's bilingual and knows these 2 stands for the same thing.

And of course I showed him the green beans.

Then we wet the cotton wool and he put them into the bottle. We then put in the green beans. He tried to pour out the green beans again but I told him not to do that as the beans need to be inside to grow.

Today, I get him to use a spoon and scoop some water to water the green beans. One of the beans have sprouted. Very soon, he'll be able to see the tiny plant growing.

The best way to teach a child is through experiential learning. I hope Kieran will soon explain to people about life cycle of green beans through what he learns from this.


My love for plants started since young. My dad loves planting and his plants thrive very well under his care. While other parents taught their kids that the soil is dirty and the insects and creepy crawlies are disgusting, my dad allowed me to help him scoop the soil, water the plants, and watch with fascination at the tiny garden snails and small ants that form a small eco system in each pot of plant. I knew then that the soil is not dirty. It is a lovely gift from Nature where plants get their nutrients from, and its a lovely home to lots of tiny and amazing creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment