Friday, October 21, 2011

Baby feeds

I was so depressed yesterday evening that I called hubby and cried, telling him how our darling babe refused to wake up for feeds and drink so little when I put him to my breast.

When hubby came home, I was in tears and I cried as I ate my dinner. MIL and others saw and were concerned but they cannot be of any help. I need hubby to be there with me, sharing the pain and the worries.

Luckily, baby suddenly came alive in the evening. After changing diaper, baby fed 35min! He totally drained out the milk on one of my breasts! I gave him the other breast. He suckled for 5min and decided to call it a day. Hubby played with baby and I joined in the play, feeling so happy. I'm jealous of hubby. He loves his daddy and only behaves when daddy comes home. Yesterday, he was smiling and gaggling to hubby before he goes to work! But in the day when I try to wake him up, he just sleeps and sleeps like a koala.

As for night feeds, he had a good sleep after a hearty meal and woke me up at 2.30 with his cries. I can sense his impatience. I quickly pump out some milk to keep the aerola soft, picked up Yun Xuan and fed him. He's enjoying his feed very much. He drank a lot and then fell asleep. I'm so happy! After Yun Xuan went back to sleep in his cot, I kneeled down and gave my thanks to God. God blessed my little baby!

I'm happy when he feeds more and depressed when he feeds less or reject feeds. Sigh. My emotions are controlled by this little baby.

This morning, he woke up at 7am for his sun bath to prevent jaundice, and at 8am he is crying so hungrily for his feeds, he cannot play with his Papa before he goes to work. I fed him quite a lot too until he seems satisfied and then let him rest until his bath time.

Now baby Yun Xuan is lying down, and resting, fully awake after a good bath. But not hungry so I can't feed him. I had wanted to feed him after bath but he's too hungry before bath so I had to feed him before bath.

Hugs my dearest Yun Xuan baby. Everyday, we wait for daddy to come home to accompany us. It's really a torture doing confinement. The food is great coz my mother in law cooks very well but I can't shower and drink cold drinks in such hot weather. This is horrible. I switch on air con time and again to cool myself down. My MIL likes to swaddle Yun Xuan up and he's very red and hot after awhile because there isn't even fan blowing at him or air con! Back at our own home, I will keep baby cool with air con. If babies are swaddled too hot, they are at risk of Sudden Infant Death (SID).

20 more days to baby's full month! 2 more weeks and my confinement will be over. I can go wherever I want provided I can feed baby when he demands. Hugs dearest hubby and Yun Xuan. They are the most precious to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hello again! ast0212 from mummysg forum. Your baby has such a beautiful name! I love the name Kieran!

    It sounds like you and bub are doing really well :o) I know it can get quite emotional in the first couple of weeks and worrying too if baby doesn't seem to be drinking much milk. Some babies (like mine) only take one side per feed for a couple of weeks or months. Some may take short feeds but more frequently. Continue going according to baby's demand per feed because they know how much they want. Please don't stress over it. I've been there and looking back I felt silly for worrying so much! But it is normal to feel what you're feeling :o)

    Yep I agree with you, don't swaddle baby if he is hot. Swaddling is only for comfort but it does put them at a risk if they are overheated.

    Hope you have a lovely day with baby! Take care,

    Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the concern. I hope things will get better and easier as my baby grows. Can't imagine having to keep waking him up for feeds when we bring him out. I hope he can demand for milk more. Maybe bcoz doing confinement cope me up in the home all day and it's adding to my misery. How I wish I can go out with hubby and baby!

    You are very kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will get easier and better :o) Maybe by the time your confinement ends you may not have to wake him up for feeds anymore. Then they go through growth spurts where they just want to feed every hour or two for an hour at a time!

    Time will pass quickly and soon you'll be going out and enjoying yourself with hubby and baby. Meanwhile take the confinement period to get as much rest and recovery as possible :o)

    ReplyDelete