Thursday, May 3, 2012

Baby food

Here's what I introduce to baby:

Brown rice: I gave baby organic instant brown rice. It doesn't come with Sishen so we got a tin of it from Eu Yan Seng and mixed in a bit. I stirred in my breast milk until I got the right consistency, not too gooey and not too liquid and fed baby. The first time, he spat out most of it but he accepted it after a few tries.

Apples: A week later, we introduce apples. I pureed it before feeding baby. He has his favorite blue feeding bowl and spoon by now.

Bananas: My dad says the long greenish type are too liang or 'cooling' for baby and insisted we give him the red type. He bought mini bananas and baby loves it. It doesn't need to be pureed. It is soft enough to be scrapped with a metal spoon and then put in the bowl to mash and be fed to baby. This fruit gives him constipation though. So does the brown rice. We try not to feed these 2 foods together and will feed them on alternate days.

Pumpkins: I bought organic HIPP brand pumpkin puree. It tastes naturally sweet and my baby loves it too. By this time, he is sucking the food off the spoon with a "tsu tsu tsu" noise, looking like he really enjoys eating the food!

Mangoes: I let him try a bit because my dad bought them. Baby likes the sweet taste but I didn't let him eat a lot as we didn't have time to puree it.

Carrots: I gave him First Earth's brand carrots puree and baby loves it! He was sucking the spoon and feeding himself by holding the spoon as we move it towards his mouth and put the spoon into his mouth to suck the food off it. I love seeing him eating his food now.

His feeding schedule is like this now:
7am Wakes up: Milk
10am: Milk and about 30-45min later, food (fruit puree/ brown rice)
12noon: Milk after bathing
3pm: Milk
6pm: Milk
8pm: Food (fruit puree/ brown rice)
9pm: Milk as I feed baby to sleep
Night feeds: 12midnight, 3am, 6am

Seems like he eats a lot, doesn't it?! He has grown much fatter and taller. I can see double chin and plump baby fats at the cheeks again! He has slimmed down a bit at 5 months and now, he's becoming chubby again. I must say I didn't measure how much he drink. I latch on and feed directly. Maybe he didn't take that much milk every time I nurse.

He is now 6 months 3 weeks old and he can do a full push up. I wonder when he'll start to move those hands and legs along and crawl!

1 comment: