Saturday, February 21, 2015

Kieran's cavity is filled!

Kieran's dental appointment went fantastically well! I was so happy that I finally can eat and sleep without worrying!

At the dentist's advice, daddy went into the dentist's room with Kieran instead of me. Both daddy and the dentist were pretty strict with Kieran. I heard him cry for mummy and my heart broke but my nerves were racking and it really was better for me to stay outside. My anxiety could scare Kieran. Amazingly, in 5 minutes, I heard the dentist praising Kieran because the cavity has been filled! I was so happy outside the dentist's room that I almost cried tears of joy. This means no more GA! No more dental surgery that puts my dear son at risk!

There is another cavity at the side of his molar, in between both molars but the dentist say it's too small for her to place the excavator in to dig in and she will review him next month to see if the cavity has grown big enough for her to dig. If it is still small by then, he only has to do it when he's older. Meanwhile, we floss and brush well for him.

That left hubby and I wondering why the paediatric dentist we brought Kieran to earlier on said he must do the fillings by GA when one cavity could be filled so easily? Another puzzling thing is the paediatric dentist said she will fill both larger cavities at the molars as well as other 5 smaller cavities (which the dentist who filled his teeth said are not cavities), and also put sealants on all his molar crevices, and this process will take 1.5 hour and of course charge us doctor's fee for 1.5 hour which comes up to a thousand plus! But one cavity could be filled in 5 minutes for a child who is awake and requires coaxing. If the child is not even struggling, I bet she could do it in 2 minutes. So why the 1.5hour huh?

Anyway, we have decided that he does not need the GA. But we have stupidly paid the doctor's fee at the clinic to secure a date for the GA, so we need to get the refund back from the paediatric dentist's clinic. I called earlier and the clerk said if we decided not to go ahead, we can get a refund. I don't know whether they will honour their words? I certainly hope so because it is expensive!

The lesson learnt? Always always always get a second opinion. Never rush into making decisions.

And a more important lesson: always brush and floss your child's teeth very DILIGENTLY three times a day, morning, afternoon and night, especially at night before bedtime. That could save you and your child lots of pain!

For tips on caring for your preschooler's teeth, see my blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment