Saturday, August 17, 2013

Baby Caitlin

People say that when one child is a high demand baby, the next one would be an easy one. How true is that!

Kieran drove us mad the moment we brought us back from the hospital. First, the sleepiness and refusal to wake up for milk milk, then his incessant crying from 6pm to midnight during fussy evenings.

Now, I was surprised how much easier it is to take care of Caitlin. No wonder some people said taking care of newborn is easy. When I had Kieran, I found this saying ridiculous. How could it be easy. There could actually be easy to care for newborn in this world. Haha. Caitlin is a darling. She sleeps most of the time and yet wakes up every 2-3 hour for milk milk. Sometimes she sleeps more and wakes up 4 hours later. Sometimes she wakes up every hour for milk. But every time, she will guai guai finish her milky and then go back to sleep. She burps whenever I burp her and she regurgitate milk but not as much as Kieran does last time. Kieran "merlioned" his milk out. But I must say its partly my fault too coz I pumped too much and created an oversupply problem. My poor Kieran had to bear with the fast milk flow, hard breasts and had to cough when the flow comes as its too fast, and regurgitate more due to the oversupply. Its all my fault. This time, I am smart enough to treat the engorgement issue by not pumping, and using cabbage leaves once a day, and cold compression and massage in between feeds. By 2nd week, my breasts are no longer engorged, and I still have lots of milk for Caitlin and she's drinking happily. But I still have fast milk flow and she coughs at times but its not too serious. How do I know I have lots of milk? I tried hand expressing a bit of milk when my breasts feels too full, especially when Caitlin didn't drink from that side for the feeding session, and the milk sprayed out like last time when I pumped for Kieran. I tried not to pump until next week. Don't want to start stimulating too much.

Caitlin's poo also turn mustard colour by the second day after discharging from hospital and its just like what the book says. She also has a little bit of jaundice and tested 10.2 at Dr Ong's clinic, but Dr Ong said its not high, and the level will eventually come down as long as she feeds well, and output is good. Her output is not worrying at all. She wets 6-8 diapers a day, as stated in the book for a healthy baby and she poo a lot of mustard poo poo everyday too.

She's our text book baby. And we hope she remains so easy to care for!

By the way, she slept through the night for two nights and then last night, she woke up at 2.40am for milk and diaper change. Not sure if she'll sleep through the night again. But that's not important. Most importantly, dear Caitlin must grow up happy and healthy, and smart, just like her gor gor. But of course she'll be smart, with all the nutrients from mummy's milk! I'm determined to give her 100% total breast milk until she's 6 months and for as long as she wants thereafter! Just like with Kieran. Hmm... maybe I should ask Kieran if he wants to try sucking milk milk today... I noticed that its no longer colostrum but full milk already. Will he still accept milk milk?

2 comments:

  1. please dun even think of giving kieran milk. this will waste all our past efforts to instill independence in him. sigh... painful process..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss hugging him and breastfeeding him leh...

      Delete